IST100: Microservices and Istio Bootcamp
Interested in registering but don't see a date or location near you?
Request a class.
The Microservices and Istio Bootcamp (IST100) is a 2 day instructor-led training covering Service Mesh, Istio Architecture, and Envoy Proxy. Students will gain hands-on experience with Istio’s core features including Traffic management and Security for applications running on Kubernetes. The course is broken up into two sections: lectures and labs.
The lectures provide a high level overview of service mesh ecosystem, Istio architecture, Traffic management, Telemetry with Istio, and Network Policy enforcements.
The labs provide a hands-on experience with Istio components and concepts.
Duration: 2 Days
Have questions? Contact us.
Audience & Prerequisites
Engineers with Kubernetes experience looking to deploy and use Istio.
- Software Engineers
- Cloud Operations Engineers
- DevOps Engineers
- Cloud Architects
- Site Reliability Engineers looking to adopt Istio as the service mesh provider on Kubernetes
- Basic experience using Linux command line
- Strong understanding of virtualization technologies (i.e. Hypervisors, virtual networks, containers)
- Strong understanding of Kubernetes (KD250 or equivalent)
Objectives and Outline
- Explain the service mesh and its ecosystem
- Explain the components of Istio and their features
- Understand how to deploy microservices application with Istio
- Understand how to configure advanced traffic routing features with Istio
- Understand how to monitor microservices with Istio
- Understand how to improve resilience for microservices with Istio
- Understand how to secure traffic between microservices with Istio
- Explain the different hybrid cloud scenarios and solutions provided by Istio
- Module 1: Introduction to Service Mesh
- Lab 1: Classroom Environment
- Module 2: Istio Architecture
- Lab 2: Istio Installation and App Development
- Module 3: Istio Ingress & Egress Controllers
- Lab 3: Istio Ingress Controller
- Module 4: Traffic control
- Lab 4: Shifting and Steering Traffic with Canary Deployments
- Module 5: Telemetry with Istio
- Lab 5: Monitoring Microservices
- Module 6: Microservices Resiliency
- Lab 6: Fault Injection, Rate Limiting, and Circuit Breaking
- Module 7: Microservices SecurityModule 7: Microservices Security
- Lab 7: Mutual TLS & RBAC
Please review our syllabus for the full course objectives and outline
- Laptop with WiFi connectivity
- Web browser supporting HTML5
- SSH client
- Presentations and Workbooks provided by Instructor
- Access to Cloud based labs for duration of class
- Certificate of Completion